Saturday, May 26, 2012

Marvel's The Avengers

So this movie has been out for awhile now, and is making a ton of money. Is the Hype worth it? Personally, for me I've waited on writing this for two reasons. 1) I've been very busy, obviously there was a lot going on two weeks ago, wrote a blog for myself that was very difficult to write and didn't know how to really "move past" it. and 2) I wanted to wait a bit until my initial "OH MY GOD THAT WAS THE GREATEST MOVIE EVER LET'S SEE IT AGAIN!" wore off. So I saw it three times, that has worn off. How do I feel about it now you ask? Some complaints aroused but still very favorable. First some back story. There's not much to this that people don't already know. This movie is the culmination of 5 other films. Iron Man 1 and 2, Thor, Hulk, and Captain America (although not in that order) If you're an avid reader of my blog you probably know I was less of a fan of thor than most, you also probably realize by now that even movies that I'm not a huge fan of, I can still greatly enjoy them. So out of those 5 the only one that I will legitimately say I don't like is the Hulk. I just found it overly boring.........also where was i going with this? Oh yeah, so for the most part, all of those are enjoyable films. Even Thor which I was critical of was very pretty and still a ton of fun. The bar had been previously set high for this and Marvel Studios was in very unfamiliar territory. They were making a film that was, in my opinion, has never really been accomplished before. using 5 stand alone films to make a movie, also stand alone, that uses the actors and characters from all 5 previous movies in the same universe. If handled wrong, this could have gone down as one of the worst ideas of all time. So, the actors hired were all VERY solid, the directors hired, again great directors. Joss Whedon, Kenneth Branagh, Jon Favreau to name a few. As well as Robert Fucking Downey Jr in the roll of Tony Stark. This was handled with Exceptional care to make sure getting to this point, they would be on solid footing. get up to may 4th 2012, and what we end up with is a great movie. just from beginning to end a non stop thrill ride. The Story is fairly straight forward, and I'm sure that was by design. Had the plot been too complex you wouldn't of had adequate time for the characters to shine through. Basically, powerful object, someone wants it, Loki promises it to said person and is granted an army to help him take over earth in exchange for said powerful object, Avengers must stop him. BUT FIRST they must overcome their differences and learn to work as a single unit, or lose the world to Loki. Complaints - Few, dialogue was good, acting solid, direction really good. So what were my complaints, maybe sometimes it focused a LITTLE to much on iron man. which I will defend and say that makes perfect sense, Robert Downey Jr. is the best actor out of that group why wouldn't you give him the most lines? Why does this upset me? I wanted to see more of Bruce Banner. I'm not a fan of the Hulk movie but I really enjoyed Mark Ruffalo, he was great! That is the stupidest complaint EVER! It's a cast with 5 (you could argue up to 7) main characters, some were going to feel neglected unless it was 6 hours long! Secondly, I felt Scarlett Johansson was slightly miscast. This is nitpicky, she was cast for her hotness, she has said this in an interview. I won't lie, to play a female super hero, you'd be hard pressed to find an actress better suited for it, she basically has a comic book body. I also think Scarlett Johansson is a great Actress, and am a big fan. BUT I felt, to an extent, she wasn't cut out for the super hero role and was easily overshadowed (again this is nit picky BS, a lot of really good actors were cast, not everyone was going to shine) But as the black widow she has a moment where she's trying to get loki to give her his master plan. She tells a story about her how she met Hawkeye, I didn't buy it, why would Loki? The rest of the movie she's playing a cold assassin, so it makes sense she spends most of the movie being emotionless. This was her chance to do some real acting and I felt it was just kinda ehhh. apart from that, this movie was so much fun. Marvel Studios really put together a solid string of films and I'm eagerly anticipating what they're going to do next. Now, if DC could just get their ass in gear and get me some good superman movies!

No comments: