Friday, February 17, 2012

The Secret World of Arrietty


This movie is terrifying, scariest movie I've seen in years! This rated G horror film about tiny tiny people who steal sugar cubes and blame it on the crazy old maid. Well shit who am I kidding this is a kid's movie. I love Kid's movies and I especially love the movies of Stuido Ghibli, the studio that produced this film. Now, I have a bit of a problem reviewing movies that I wanted to see. Generally speaking, I don't want to see bad movies and I don't like making fun of good movies. So I feel like my reviews for movies I like get repetitive. So STOP ME IF YOU'VE HEARD THIS ONE.

"The Secret World of Arrietty" is a movie about a boy named Sean who has a heart condition and moves to his Aunt's before he's supposed to have surgery on his heart. When he shows up to his aunt's he finds a very small girl. When I say small, I mean like probably smaller than 3 inches? these very very small people are called borrowers, they steal things like soap and sugar cubes and blame it on crazy old maids. A friendship grows between Sean and Arrietty which is pretty complicated, because the crazy housekeeper is trying to find the borrowers, and the parents of Arrietty don't want the humans knowing that they're there. Basic jist of the film.

So, while this movie was really good, it was far from perfect. The soundtrack started off really fun and I thought it was really entertaining, then it started getting repetitive. I really only noticed 1 or 2 songs that weren't awful J-Pop(maybe not J-pop regardless, it wasn't good) but the songs that they did play were good enough to not care. My real problem is Amy Poehler and Will Arnett. Will Arnett and Amy Poehler have incredibly emotive voices, you couldn't tell from this movie. Will Arnett just grunts and has light moans every now and again, and Amy Poehler just kinda well she actually doesn't do much. I could've done the same job as Will Arnett and that was really disappointing.

It's worth watching, I really enjoyed it, but it wasn't at the top of my studio ghibli favorites. Still well worth seeing and a lot of fun.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice Review. I still want to see the U.K. Dubbed version with Soarise Ronan("Hanna") and Mark Strong("Kick Ass") as some of the voice actors

Resmo112 said...

I honestly didn't realize they had done a U.K. dubbed version but I don't think it would help that much. From what I hear about the book, the mother was just as annoying and the dad had very few lines. Apart from that I had no complaints about the voice actors, Arrietty and Sean were solid and so was the Aunt and her crazy house maid. apart from the wild borrower there weren't any other characters.

Nice to Meet you "The Vern" I look forward to reading your blog in the future.